Carbon Fiber Strengthening of Cooling Tower Risers
Problem vs Solution
- Thin wall and through-hole defects were present due to soil air interface corrosion (SAIC)
- 12 risers required repair during a short window and needed a 200 psi design pressure
- CarbonSeal™ was designed to fully restore the structural integrity of the pipe and provide a leak-proof barrier that was resistant to future corrosion
- Riser were excavated 10-ft to expose sound substrate and all active leaks were stop-gapped until the CarbonSeal Repair System was allowed to cure
- Service life was extended 15 years
See the before and after photos below.