An ASTM A106 – Grade B steel vapor line header at this oil refinery had become corroded both internally and externally, resulting in through holes and a decrease in hoop strength throughout the entire structure.
- Corrosion led to the loss of steel, causing through holes in the 20” pipe
- The header was connected to a 42” diameter pipe, also needing reinforcement
- The repair needed to be completed while insuring the internal pipe process did not ingress oxygen, in order to avoid possible combustion
- Surface was cleaned to white metal using mechanical hand tools
- A chemical-resistant base coat was used due to constant chemical exposure
- After patching and priming, carbon fiber was saturated and wrapped around the exterior » A chemical resistant topcoat was applied, protecting the system
- HJ3’s CarbonSealTM system saved the client more than $300,000 over replacement
- No hot work permits or welding were required, and the pipe was repaired with no downtime!